As companies begin to implement remote work more often, we’re seeing many employees who are unsure of how to navigate the transition. While to some, remote work may seem like a vacation of sorts, it can really throw others for a loop who are used to the routine they’ve established in the office.
Well, DRIVEN360’s employees have been working remotely for many years and we’ve pulled together some of the top tips and tricks to help you dominate working from home and master the ever challenging work-life balance.
- Get up at a normal time! As enticing as it is to sleep in until right before your first meeting starts, it’s crucial you set a morning routine to kick start your day. A quick workout, a fun outfit or an early cup of joe will get you in the right mindset to tackle the day.
- Set yourself up for success by creating a workspace that brings you joy. I know it sounds simple, but when your bed is so easy to access, it’s essential to establish a space where you know it’s time to get sh*t done once your butt hits the seat.
- Take time to eat lunch. This may sound crazy, but it’s so easy to get lost in the day that you often forget to eat. And surprise! The hungrier you are, the easier it is to get distracted and lose focus. So here’s your reminder that it’s okay to step back from your computer and take a break. And don’t be afraid to add a calendar reminder as well!
- Continue to communicate with your team! Seems like a no-brainer, right? Wrong. Working from home can get you into a routine where you’re not communicating as often with your team as you would in an office setting. Sure you’ll be missing out on the fun desk-to-desk banter, but there are ways you can recreate that. Use communication tools like Slack, Skype and Teams to chat about work, chat about life, and maybe even vent a little. They even offer options for multi-person video calling so you can feel as though you’re all in the same room. (Side note: this is another reason to continue getting ready in the morning. Don’t let your manager catch you in PJ’s at 2pm 😉)
- And last but not least: GO OUTSIDE. If there is one tip that will save you from losing your mind, it’s this one. Trust me, I know from experience. A walk around the block, soaking up the sun in the backyard or running a few errands will take you out of the dungeon in your house and into the outside world, giving you space to breathe and that extra boost of energy when you’ve been housebound all day.
Remember to give yourself grace as you navigate the world of working remotely. Just like an office job, not every morning will start with a boost of motivation and end with success. But adding these tricks into the mix will definitely make it easier to transition seamlessly from office to home and back.